What Is Black Mold?
Stachybotrys chartarum is the type of mold often called “black mold” or “toxic mold”.
How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mold?
Since many types of mold can produce allergens and irritants, you should contact a qualified mold remediation company regardless of the color or type of mold. In many instances, multiple types of mold can exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect that you have a mold problem, contact a SERVPRO Franchise Professional immediately. Click here to find a SERVPRO Franchise.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today 24/7 at 503-791-6714!
When water makes its way onto your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. It can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce toxins that are harmful to humans and pets.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a pungent, sour and musty odor.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.